Monday, June 3, 2013

On Thinking Time ...

Giving the mind, body, and soul a chance to rest is one of the most important things we can do.  I do not remember any of the other 6 habits from the bestseller The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, which is the version of the book I read in high school.  #7, sharpen the saw, really stuck with me though.

It is so important to take the time to make sure I am taking care of myself.  Pushing exercise to the back burner and grabbing take out ... all in the name of accomplishing other goals ... is so easy.  Its not like I'm doing those things and then sitting on the couch and watching TV.

However, I decided to take some time to do nothing but relax and think.  I have not given myself a chance to sit around and think very much in the past year because I haven't really wanted to think about some of the things I need to think about.  Its easy to just push things to the back if you don't stop and think about them.

So I'm thinking.  Memorial Day morning I woke up and decided to go to Mount Rushmore.  Why not? I drove north and west and north some more and drove through tornadoes and plains and rolling hills and miles where I had no cell coverage and never saw another car.  That was some good thinking time. I've also now officially been to all 48 continental United States.

single buffalo, buffalo herd, Ollie, backside of Mt Rushmore, hiking around a beautiful lake, hidden staircase, somewhere in the Dakotas, my copilot, memories

After a day at home and a bachelorette party, I'm continuing the thinking time.  For the next few days, I'll be thinking from here.  And probably rereading the 7 habits so that I can find out what the other 6 are!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment