Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday.  In case you're not familiar, it is the day marking the beginning of the Lenten season.

Today, I will go to mass and have ashes, the remnants of palm fronds from last year's Palm Sunday, placed on my forehead in the sign of the cross.  These are meant to remind me of my mortality and the need for repentance.  Sometimes, they even provide a chance for me to share my faith with others.  People always ask "what is on your forehead" and most of the time it ends with a mention of Ash Wednesday, however, there always seems to be someone who wants to dig deeper ... and if you ask me questions, I'll do my best to answer them.  Maybe I'll even use Stephen Colbert's "its basically the hand stamp for God's nightclub" line.

here
Today, I will fast.  Between now and Easter, I will abstain from meat on Fridays.

Today, and every day until Easter, I will be adding something new to my schedule and taking something out that I love.


What will you be doing for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment